By Hajime Sato
The only so much tricky factor one faces while one starts off to profit a brand new department of arithmetic is to get a think for the mathematical experience of the topic. the aim of this booklet is to aid the aspiring reader collect this crucial good judgment approximately algebraic topology in a brief time period. To this finish, Sato leads the reader via uncomplicated yet significant examples in concrete phrases. additionally, effects are usually not mentioned of their maximum attainable generality, yet when it comes to the easiest and such a lot crucial circumstances.
In reaction to feedback from readers of the unique version of this e-book, Sato has further an appendix of worthwhile definitions and effects on units, normal topology, teams and such. He has additionally supplied references.
Topics lined contain basic notions resembling homeomorphisms, homotopy equivalence, basic teams and better homotopy teams, homology and cohomology, fiber bundles, spectral sequences and attribute periods. items and examples thought of within the textual content comprise the torus, the Möbius strip, the Klein bottle, closed surfaces, phone complexes and vector bundles.
Read Online or Download Algebraic Topology: An Intuitive Approach PDF
Similar topology books
This stylish publication by means of individual mathematician John Milnor, presents a transparent and succinct creation to at least one of crucial matters in sleek arithmetic. starting with uncomplicated thoughts comparable to diffeomorphisms and delicate manifolds, he is going directly to learn tangent areas, orientated manifolds, and vector fields. Key thoughts corresponding to homotopy, the index variety of a map, and the Pontryagin development are mentioned. the writer offers proofs of Sard's theorem and the Hopf theorem.
This booklet is designed to be an creation to a couple of the elemental principles within the box of algebraic topology. particularly, it's dedicated to the principles and purposes of homology concept. the one prerequisite for the coed is a simple wisdom of abelian teams and element set topology. The necessities of singular homology are given within the first bankruptcy, besides essentially the most very important functions.
This quantity is a set of papers devoted to the reminiscence of V. A. Rohlin (1919-1984) - a good mathematician and the founding father of the Leningrad topological institution. It comprises survey and study papers on topology of manifolds, topological facets of the speculation of advanced and genuine algebraic types, topology of projective configuration areas and areas of convex polytopes.
- Three-Dimensional Geometry and Topology, Vol. 1
- Geometrical combinatorial topology, Vol. II. (Van Nostrand Reinhold mathematical studies, #28)
- Topology An Introduction with Application to Topological Groups
- Counterexamples in Topology
- Knots, Links, Braids and 3-Manifolds: An Introduction to the New Invariants in Low-Dimensional Topology (Translations of Mathematical Monographs) (Translations of Mathematical Monographs Reprint)
- Symplectic Fibrations and Multiplicity Diagrams
Extra info for Algebraic Topology: An Intuitive Approach
The physical phenomena connected with diﬀerent types of open trajectories can be found in detail in the survey articles [30, 31]. 3 Transport in 2D Electron Gas and Topology of Quasiperiodic Functions Let us now mention a few words about the so-called generalized Novikov problem in connection with the quasiperiodic functions on the plane with N quasiperiods. According to the standard deﬁnition the quasiperiodic function in Rm with N quasiperiods (N ≥ m) is a restriction of a periodic function in RN (with N periods) to any plane Rm ⊂ RN of dimension m linearly embedded in RN .
3. 2 Topology, Quasiperiodic Functions,and the Transport Phenomena (a) (b) 41 (c) Fig. 6. 2 The Classiﬁcation of Fermi Surfaces and the “Topological Quantum Numbers” Let us start with the deﬁnitions of genus and topological rank of the Fermi surface. Deﬁnition 1. Let us consider the phase space T3 = R3 /L introduced earlier. After the identiﬁcation, every component of the Fermi surface becomes the smooth orientable two-dimensional surface embedded in T3 . We can then introduce the standard genus of every component of the Fermi surface g = 0, 1, 2, ...
The reconstructed constant energy surface with removed compact trajectories and the two-dimensional discs attached to the singular trajectories in the generic case of just one critical point on every singular trajectory Theorem 2 (Dynnikov ). Let a generic dispersion relation ε(p) : T3 → R be given such that for level ε(p) = ε0 the genus g of some carrier of open trajectories S i is greater than 1. Then there exists an open interval (ε1 , ε2 ) containing ε0 such that for all ε = ε0 in this interval the genus of the carrier of open trajectories is less than g.